During the boom years of railway expansion in England, plans were formed for a railway station in Clare, originally as an extension of The Colchester, Stour Valley, Sudbury and Halstead Railway. From Sudbury the route would go via Long Melford to Clare; eventually the route extended to Haverhill and Cambridge. Despite the location being within the site of an important medieval castle, this slowly developed as a plan until the Great Eastern Railway took over. Work began about 1862 and on 9 August 1865 the Clare station was opened at a great ceremony. Find out more
Did you know that Clare has the only station built within the bailey of a Castle? The buildings are now Grade 2 protected and include a Goods Shed that is the only surviving example of the eleven examples built to the 1865 type design. Inside the Goods Shed is an internal platform that has a goods wagon. The Goods Shed will be developed as part of our Heritage Lottery Grant
Find out more about the history of the station.