At the inner bailey the walls needed to be widened, and digging for this led to an unexpected find, a beautiful piece of gold jewellery, unearthed by a young labourer. The Clare Cross, as it is known, was shown to the landowner, who reported it to the archaeological world, where it proved very exciting. A small crucifix made of gold with four grey pearls on a gold chain, and with a cavity for relics, the Cross was eventually claimed by Queen Victoria. It now resides in the British Museum, a very rare 15th-century artefact costly enough to indicate that its original owner must have belonged to the highest nobility.
Grain, sugar beet, coal and passengers all used the station at Clare. In nearby Station Road were the offices of the important grain merchant Charles Byford. His firm had its own dock at King's Lynn. The growth of transport by road reduced train traffic, which by the 1950's had reached 80,000 sacks of grain passing through the station each year.
Still in place are the Stationmaster's house with its ticket office and waiting room; a smaller waiting room across the tracks, and the last known 1865 goods shed. The three buildings together as a group are very rarely found today, and because of that in 2013 the complex was listed Grade II. A crane of the type used to lift heavy goods has recently been installed near the goods shed. The Railway Walk towards Cavendish begins by passing under a picturesque viaduct that carries the roadway to the former site of Clare Mill, destroyed by fire in the 1970s.
The Railway in Clare
Clare Station remained in operation until the Beeching closures. Passenger
services stopped on 6 March 1967, whilst freight services had ceased in 1966, and as early as 1963, it had become an un staffed halt. Road access to the Station passed through Clare Castle's outer bailey, this is now a path leading from the Station Road entrance to the Park to the Old Station House in the centre of the Park.